Wednesday, July 20, 2011



OK.... Here we go.

My name is Philip. Phil to most.  I just turned 27 on 7/14/11. Beside me is my lovely wife Jaimie :-)



I've decided to "Blog" for two reasons.

1) Accountability and hopefully a learning experience
2) Maybe I can help other people at the same time

I consider myself blessed. I have attained a moderate amount of success with my job. I have a beautiful wife. I have a great relationship with my family. My friends are second to none , and if nothing else they keep me laughing and grounded. God has been really good to me.

There is, however, one thing that I have never been able to accomplish with any amount of success. Drum-roll please ...... and that is getting myself to a weight I'm happy with and healthy with. My entire life, literally, I have wanted to lose weight.

I enjoy life. For this simple reason I want to enjoy life as long as I can. And that means getting healthy , and staying that way.

Before we get all emotional here let's establish a few facts:
1) This is not the fat kid in gym class story.
2) I didn't suffer scarring embarrassing ridicule from my peers growing up (at least not that much lol)
3) I'm not trying to go all "biggest loser" on everyone (although hopefully that's the kind of success at this I have)
4) I don't need a breathing apparatus when I run around the block
5) This is not a boo-hoo apology, poor old me, it's not my fault, sorry I've let anyone down kind of thing. The fact is whining about it won't change a thing. Trust me. I've been there and done that.

I am overweight. I have been very complacent about it. Mainly because I don't always look the part and I can't think of many things I've missed out on because of it. (At least I used to think so)  But let's face it, it's a slippery slope and over the past few years I have not been going in the right direction. I've recently faced the facts that you don't get smaller as you get older lol, so now is the time.

I am scared to death and excited  at the same time posting this because I usually can succeed at whatever I put my mind to. It's scary because if this is like every other time I've tried to do this, then this will be quite embarrassing. I'm sure my brother Patrick will never let me live it down lol. I need that. I keep finding myself dreading this, and I don't know why. It’s exciting because this is going to change my life and be a milestone I never forget. I know I have an awesome support group and a God that loves me to help me all the way through.

The nice thing about weight loss is that it doesn't mean I can't do the things I love. All I'm giving up is food. Sounds silly. But it is way harder than it looks. Especially when you love food as much as I do lol.

This is just an intro. Long story short I'm going to work on a plan of attack that means eat less and exercise more. I need group support so this covers that.

I am going to buy a scale because I don't know my weight. Yikes. I know I need to post the weight on here, and that will be awful, but extremely important.

My Mom had a great point when she's told me over the last few years, "No one can do this for you, and you can't do this for anyone else. Until you decide this is what you want to change, you won't." Touche, Mom.

I'm going to update this blog a few times a week, hopefully more. I don't want this to be a food journal or a minute by minute recap of every day, but I do want to post what I've changed, am changing, and any slip ups along the way. I do want this to be a big way for me to look back and see the journey. I do want my friends , family, and then whoever else comes across this to help me. I need encouragement.

The big test will be to see where things are in August, September, then 2012, etc etc.

I don't know if anyone will follow this besides my wife and family lol, but even if that's all there is, this is important.

I start today.

I'm sweating already...

“Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality.” ~Ralph Marston

10 comments:

  1. Backing you with love and prayers!!!! Success is in your reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rock buddy! I'm praying for you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an incredibly balinous blog! You're a true inspiration! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doood, you could always just contract mono. I lost 20lbs a couple years ago cause of it. Sure, there are a few side effects, but what's really important your health are taking shortcuts to your goal? :P I kid I kid. Love the blog buddy. I'll put you in my prayers. I'm planning on starting up at LA Fitness sometime soon. Let me know if you want to work out sometime. -A.Stone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil u are on your way along with many others. So well written that Fox news should spread it all over the world. I can't wait. POPSY

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to see less of you!! POPSY

    ReplyDelete
  7. The worst part about most blogs is that they are boring. One of the best parts about Phil is that he is hilarious and exciting. Looking forward to following this blog and seeing you achieve your lifelong desire. My advice for weight loss would be try to make changes that you can keep in place for the rest of your life. I remember, as you probably do, a friend in college that lost 60 lbs over the summer, but then put it all back on plus interest because it was a diet kick that was obvious he wouldn't be able to keep up his whole life. Putting that much weight back on I think would be more disappointing than never losing it in the first place. Second, try to implement fun exercise into your routine, start a pickup basketball time or something that you can have fun with while getting good exercise. I know you can do it.
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  8. THanks everyone! Check out the progress so far!

    ReplyDelete